A new graduate immigration route will be launched for all international students who have successfully completed a course in the UK – including those from India:
- Demonstrate a valid UK student visa.
- Have successfully completed a course of study in any subject at undergraduate level or above at an approved UK Higher Education Provider.
- The visa will allow eligible students to work, or look for work, in any career or position of their choice, for two years after completing their studies.
- Currently, UK graduates are allowed to search for jobs for four months only after their course.
- The new policy does not have any limited reservations, and would make it easier for the recent UK graduates to apply for jobs and gain some valuable work experience. Graduates will also be able to search jobs regardless of their skills or course they studied in the UK.
- As per the government, the aim is to hire highly skilled talented graduates in disciplines such as Science, Math, Research, Engineering, and Technology.
- Students who will take admissions in the 2020-21 academic year will be the most benefited.
5 things to know about UK’s post-study work visa rules:
- Announced by Boris Johnson, UK’s Prime Minister, the upcoming post-study work visa will allow overseas students to “unlock their potential and start their career in the UK”.
- The graduate immigration stream is designed for ambitions of Indian students, who want to stay and work in the UK post their studies.
- The visa is valid for two years and will require the candidate to submit a new application, which must include visa fee and immigration health surcharge. The visa cannot be extended and will not count towards settlement. However, for graduates who succeed in grabbing a job offer and also satisfy the eligibility requirements will be able to switch into skilled work, which is a route to settlement.
- Those who graduate and whose leave expires before the route is introduced will not be eligible for it.