As the pandemic has started to become the new normal in people’s everyday lives, countries are making relevant changes in the policies regarding their travel bans, global movement of people among other internal policy changes. One set of group that has been a victim of the uncertainties are the international students. They have been paranoid about their future study plans and when will they be able to travel to their study destination.
In this context, Canada has issued specific guidelines for students who can or cannot enter Canada till the travel restrictions are in place till 31st August 2020.
Students who are allowed to enter Canada –
- Returning international students who have a valid study permit in hand
- The study permit has to be valid on the date of entry to Canada
- The students have to demonstrate that they are entering Canada solely for non-optional/non-discretionary purposes, for which a letter from their institute will be required clarifying that the student’s presence is mandatory in Canada
- Students will have to stay in quarantine for 14-days after entering Canada as per the mandate from the authorities
- A complete Arrive Can app/form is also required from the students
- The new international students are allowed to enter Canada provided they have been given the approval of their study permit application by the means of Letter of Introduction before 18th March 2020, but have not been issued the study permit yet
- These new students also need to demonstrate that they are entering Canada solely for non-optional/non-discretionary purposes, for which a letter from their institute will be required clarifying that the student’s presence is mandatory in Canada and will have to comply to the 14-day quarantine rule as well
Students who are not allowed to enter Canada –
- The new international students who have been given the approval of their study permit application by the means of Letter of Introduction after 18th March 2020
- New international students without a study permit or letter of introduction are not permitted to enter Canada
Canada has rolled out specific guidelines to support international students. They are being provided with proper information in case of any changes or relaxation in norms. The country has been taking every possible effort to help international students with their further education.