Ever since the government of United Kingdom announced a two-year post-study visa scheme, lots of international students are preferring to study in UK for higher studies. With creation of the new ‘Graduate Route’, the UK government has taken a big step towards attracting more international students in the country, which will eventually help them welcome six lakh international students by 2030.
The all new ‘Graduate Route’ will make it easier for international students to have a valid immigration status in the country, once they have completed their education in the UK for two years. The visa gives students an opportunity to stay in the country for two years and look for jobs based on their qualifications. However, the UK student visa (post-study) route is non-extendable and does not guarantee permanent settlement in the UK.
What you should know about UK’s New Post-Study Work Visa?
- The post-study visa is also known as Graduate Route, which permits international students in the UK to stay back in the country for two years and search for jobs after completing their education. Currently, a majority of overseas students pursuing their graduation or post-graduation in the UK are only allowed to stay back for four months to six months only.
- Students planning to take admissions in the 2020-21 academic year will benefit from this new visa route. The announcement regarding UK study visa is positively welcomed by the UK universities, and their concerned departments and stakeholders are all set to make relevant changes in the next academic year. The current international student population in the UK sits at 4.5 lakh, which the government wants to increase up to 6 lakhs in the next 10 years.
- According to Tom Birtwistle, Director of British Council India (North), the new graduate route will not only benefit Indian students, but also a wide range of ambitious employers trying to have an access to young and talented skilled workers aspiring a valuable international work experience.
- The post study work visa will be granted for two years only, and it will be a separate visa, requiring candidates to file a new application. As part of the application, students must pay a visa fee along with an immigration health surcharge. The visa cannot be extended any further after two years, however, graduates who are able to grab a perfect job opportunity and meet UK student visa requirements for Indian students may be able to convert their visa status into a skilled worker category.
- Those who have completed their graduation from the UK before the route was introduced will not be eligible for it.
The graduate route is a welcome change in the realm of UK’s international education. It will benefit universities, businesses, and ambitious overseas students who wish to study in UK and lay solid foundation for a prosperous and fulfilling career.